It’s 17 days until I launch my book ‘Building Passions’!
The last time I used a countdown on this website was leading up to celebrating 125 years of Tower Bridge earlier this year. Before that I properly launched the website in January 2018, a hundred years after the death of Sir John Wolfe Barry.
A lot has happened since then and even earlier when I first sent in my application for a Blue Plaque for JWB. In 16 days time a plaque should finally go up on the front of the house where he died on Chelsea Embankment in London.
I am currently part of a local Kent group of writers who are aiming to complete 50,000 words of a novel n the month of November, as part of a worldwide charity called NaNoWriMo. It’s not easy, but more doable if you have others in the same situation.
I have promised the group that I will tell them more about self-publishing based on my experience to date so below are some brief bullets to whet the appetite:
- Plan, plan then plan some more – you can’t do too much!
- Seek out those with a greater expertise than yourself whether directly or via social media
- Be realistic about deadlines – they can shift as long as the end product is completed to a high standard, but not for ever
- Break down the project into streams and tasks so it becomes more manageable
- Don’t give up however bad you might feel on certain days – good news is just around the corner!
- If you want to use lost of images and fancy design features then be prepared to spend time and money on it
- Find reliable people to work with – they may not always be the very best, but at least they will deliver when you need it
- Imagine what your book will look like and try and stick to that dream, with occasional adjustments
- Above all, don’t even write a book if you aren’t convinced that people will want to read it!